第一章 总 则 （Chapter 1 PRELIMINARIES）
第一条 名 称
The name of the association shall be the TEO CHEW POIT IP HUAY KUAN, Singapore. (hereinafter called the Huay Kuan).
第二条 宗 旨
The objects of the Huay Kuan are:-
- to cultivate friendship and fellowship amongst the members of each Teochew District, and to keep in contact with other societies and Huay Kuan.
- to foster the spirit of mutual aid, cooperation and unite amongst the members; to carry out charitable works; to promote traditional virtues; and to popularize cultural and educational activities
第三条 会 所
3. Place of Business
The Place of business of the Huay Kuan is situated at No.97 Tank Road, Singapore 238066.
第二章 会 员（CHAPTER 2 MEMBERSHIP）
Any person of any of the eight Teochew Districts, who has attained the age of 21 years irrespective of occupation and sex, shall be eligible for membership.
- 在志愿书揭示于通告处之二星期内缴纳入会基金一百元, 此外，会员必须缴纳董事会议决之年费。
5. Admission Procedure:
An applicant to the Huay Kuan to be a member will be admitted provided:-
6. Objection to Membership
Any objection in writing made against an application for membership shall be considered by the Board who must be satisfied that the grounds of such objection are not valid before approving the application. Any applicant who has been rejected by the Board may re-apply for admission to the Huay Kuan after a lapse of six (6) months, provided he keeps to the procedure laid down in article 5.
7. Expulsion and Resignation:
Any member who scandalizes or slanders the good name of the Huay Kuan may, upon sufficient evidence being obtained by the Board, be expelled by a decision of two-thirds of the board members present at a Board Meeting held for the purpose. Any member so expelled or any member who resigns from membership of the Huay Kuan shall have no claim to any contribution in money or in kind made prior to such expulsion or resignation.
第八条 义 务
- （甲） 缴纳基金及特别捐。
- （乙） 遵守本会馆章程及条规。
- （丙） 担任本会馆委派之职务。
The obligations of a member are:-
- a) to pay entrance fee and any special subscriptions or contributions.
- b) to abide by the Huay Kuan’s Constitution, Rules and Regulations.
- c) to assume any duties that may be assigned by the Huay Kuan.
第九条 权 利
- （甲） 对会馆兴革事宜有建议之权。
- （乙） 有选举权及被选权。
- （丙） 出席会员大会时有发言、建议及表决权。
- （丁） 有请求会馆排解纠纷之权。
- （戊） 凡会员有不遵守本会馆之章程、条规或议决案者，经董事会调查属实，可予以警告或停止其应享之权利。
The privileges of a member are:-
- the right to propose on matters relating to the Huay Kuan’s development.
- the right to elect and to be elected.
- the right to speak, propose and resolve at General Meetings.
- the right to seek the Huay Kuan’s mediation in his disputes with others.
- any member who has failed to comply with the Constitution or Rules and Regulations or Resolutions of the Huay Kuan, may have his privileges terminated by the Board after the Board has made investigations as to the truth or falsity of any allegation against the member. The Board may alternatively warn the member of his non-compliance.
第三章 组 织（CHAPTER 3 ORGANISATION）
第十条 组 织
The Huay Kuan is organised by Singapore citizens and permanent residents of the following Teochew Districts in Singapore:
- Teo Ann
- Theng Hai
- Teo Yeo
- Kit Yeo
- Jiow Pheng
- Pho Leng
- Hui Lai
- Nam Oa
11. General Meeting of Members:
The General Meeting of Members, formed of all members, shall be the Huay Kuan's Supreme Body.
- 会长一人 副会长六人至十一人
- 总务一人 副总务一人至二人
- 财政一人 副财政一人至二人
- 外事一人 副外事一人至四人
The Board shall consist of fifty - two (52) members all of whom shall serve in an Honorary capacity. Among them shall be the following office-bearers to manage the Huay Kuan’s affairs and organisation:
- 1 President and 6 - 11 Vice Presidents;
- 1 Secretary and 1 - 2 Assistant Secretaries;
- 1 Treasurer and 1 - 2 Assistant Treasurers;
- 1 Local and International affairs Secretary and 1 - 4 Local and International Affairs Assistant Secretaries;
- If necessary, the Board may form subcommittees to deal with any other or special matters.
13. Honorary Titles:
Lifetime Honorary President, Honorary President, Honorable Committee Member and Honorary Committee Member shall have no rights or privileges as given to a Committee Member of the Huay Kuan except the title which is purely honorary.
- LIFETIME HONORARY PRESIDENT
Anyone who has served as Honorary President of the Huay Kuan and has rendered valuable services to the Huay Kuan may be invited to be a Lifetime Honorary President by the Committee.
- HONORARY PRESIDENT
Anyone who has served as President or Vice President of the Huay Kuan and has rendered valuable services to the Huay Kuan or anyone from the Teochew Districts who has donated to the Huay Kuan a substantial sum of money as donations may be invited to be an Honorary President of the Huay Kuan by the Committee for one term of office.
- HONORABLE COMMITEEE MEMBER
Anyone from the Teochew Districts who has sponsored the development of the Huay Kuan may be invited to be an Honorable Committee Member by the Committee.
- HONORARY COMMITTEE MEMBER
Any committee member or auditor who has served the Huay Kuan for more than ten years may be invited to be an Honorary Committee Member by the Committee.
14. Special Committee Members:
The Board may invite any Organisations representing any of the eight (8) Teochew Districts to nominate its President, Vice President, Treasurer or Secretary to sit in the Board as special board members for a period of one term. Provided if the nominated special board member happens to be the President of the eight (8) Teochew District he shall automatically be the Vice President of Teochew Poit Ip Huay Kuan and all the special board members shall have the rights to vote and speak on all matters.
第四章 职 务（CHAPTER 4 DUTIES AND POWERS）
15. General Meeting:
The General Meeting has the power to:-
- amend the Constitution;
- elect the committee members, trustees and auditors;
- approve the annual reports and accounts of the Huay Kuan; and
- decide on the activities of the Huay Kuan.
16. Board Meeting:
The Board Meeting has the power to:-
- carry out the resolutions of the General Meeting and to manage the routine matters of the Huay Kuan;
- elect members to fill up any vacancy as board members (if necessary) or as office bearers, and to elect the Lifetime Honorary Presidents, Honorary Presidents, Honorable Board Members and Honorary Board Members.
- to raise funds and to control the expenditure of same;
- to draw up rules and bye-laws and all details not inconsistent with Constitution relating to all matters of the Huay Kuan;
- to prepare for the election of Board members;
- to appoint representatives to any charities in the Republic or any matters relating to the Teochew people in Singapore.
第十七条 会 长
- （甲） 对内主持会务，对外代表本会馆。
- （乙） 签署一切文件及银行支票。
- （丙） 掌管本会馆产业契约，重要文件及印章。
- （丁） 召开会议，并于董事会议、会员大会担任主席及执行本会馆决议案。
The duties of the President are:-
- to manage the Huay Kuan’s affairs internally and to represent the Huay Kuan externally;
- to sign all documents and cheques;
- to keep all title deeds, contracts and other important documents and seals of the Huay Kuan;
- to call meetings and to preside as Chairman at all Committee and General Meetings and to implement the Resolutions of the Huay Kuan.
18. Vice President:
President has the right to appoint only one Vice President as Deputy President to assist him in the running of the Huay Kuan when the President is absent or on leave.
19. Deputy President:
President has the right to appoint only one Vice President as Deputy President to assist him in the running of the Huay Kuan when the President is absent or on leave.
第二十条 总 务
The duties of Secretary are:-
- to implement all matters of the Huay Kuan under the direction of the President in accordance with the directions of the Committee.
- to sign cheques.
第二十一条 财 政
The duties of the Treasurer are:-
- to keep and control all the funds, expenses, monies and cheques of the Huay Kuan;
- to sign cheques;
- to submit monthly reports on the Huay Kuan’s income and expenses to the Committee, and to balance the accounts annually for submission to the auditors for auditing and reporting to the Annual General Meeting.
22. Local and International Affairs Secretary:
The duties of the Local and International Affairs Secretary are:- to promote public relations and friendship amongst the members.
23. Assistant Secretary, Assistant Treasurer & Local and International Affairs Assistant Secretary:
These assistant secretaries will assist the secretary, treasurer and Local and International Affairs secretary respectively and in their absence to act on their behalf.
第五章 选举与任期（CHAPTER 5 ELECTION AND TENURE OF OFFICE）
24. Election Date:
The tenure of office of the board members is two (2) years per term of office. Election of board members shall be held at the Annual General Meeting once in every two (2) years in the month of February and the taking-over of office from the old Board by the new Board shall be in the month of March.
- 义安公司正或副总理一人，中华总商会之潮籍正或副会长一人为当然董事，惟该二十六名票选董事中，每邑至少须 由董事一名。
25. Method of Election:
- Members shall by means of ballots elect 26 committee members. Subject to any provisions to the contrary, the first 26 members with the highest number of votes polled in their favour shall be elected to the Committee and other members not so elected shall be deemed to be reserved committee members;
- The President or Vice President of Ngee Ann Kongsi, and the President or Vice President of the Singapore Chinese Chamber of Commerce who must be a Teochew shall be ex-officio committee members; amongst the 26 elected belong committee members, at least one must belong to each Teochew District.
- The election sub-committee shall additionally elect seven (7) members to be committee members. However, if one or both of the aforesaid two (2) ex-officio committee members is/are already elected to the Committee under Article 24(a), then the election sub-committee shall be empowered to elect a further one or two members to fill in the vacancy/vacancies so created, making up the total number of committee members to thirty-five (35).
- Office-bearers shall be elected by and amongst the committee members. Votes are to be cast personally by the committee members and no proxy can be appointed.
- if any committee member should resign or vacate his office, the reserved committee member with the highest number of votes polled in his favour shall automatically become a committee member to fill up such vacancy;
- if any office bearer should resign or vacate office, the vacancy created shall be filled up by the committee members electing a member to replace the vacancy.
26. District Representative:
- Amongst the committee members elected under Article 24 (a), at least one shall be a person belonging to each Teochew District.
- Should any member belonging to any of the eight (8) Teochew Districts fail to obtain sufficient votes to be elected as a board member so as to comply with paragraph (a), then any member belonging to that District who has received the highest vote compared to other members of that District shall be deemed to be elected. Should no member of any District receive any vote at all, the election subcommittee shall elect a member of that District to be a board member.
第二十七条 任 期
27. Tenure of Office:
Office bearers and committee members shall hold office for a period of two (2) years per term of office and will be eligible for re-election except the President who shall not hold office for more than two consecutive terms of office and the Treasurer who shall not be re-elected on a consecutive basis.
第二十八条 查 账
28. Internal Auditors:
At the Annual General Meeting at which elections are held, two (2) members will be elected as internal auditors for one term of office. The internal auditors shall not act or be elected as board member in the Huay Kuan and shall not be eligible for re-election. The internal auditors shall be responsible to audit each year’s account for report to the Annual General Meeting. The internal auditors may be required by the President to audit at the Huay Kuan’s accounts for any period during their tenure of office at any time and to make a report to Board.
第二十九条 董 事
28. Board Member:
The requirements of a board member are that he must be of good character and has a proper occupation. No one shall be elected to the Board if he is of unsound mind, or is an undischarged bankrupt, or is a person convicted of a criminal offence.
第六章 会 议（CHAPTER 6 MEETINGS）
29. Annual General Meeting:
The Annual General Meeting shall be held once a year in or before February of each year. Not less the 14 days’ notice of such a meeting must be sent to all members entitled to such Notice and must be published within the Republic in any one of the Chinese Language Newspapers at least once.
31. Extraordinary General Meeting of Members:
The President or the Board may call on Extraordinary General Meeting of members if he or the Board think it necessary; alternatively such a meeting shall be called on a requisition of not less than seven (7) board members or thirty (30) members. Request must first be made by the requisitionists to the Board giving reasons for the holding of such a meeting, but two (2) weeks’ notice must be given to all members eligible to attend and subject to notification being advertised in any one of the Chinese Language Newspapers in Singapore. Such a meeting shall not discuss matters not stated in the Agenda and it is required that all requisitionists must present themselves at such a meeting, otherwise such a meeting shall be cancelled forthwith.
32. Quorum of General Meeting:
The quorum for the Annual General Meeting and the Extraordinary General Meeting shall be not less than 100 members present at the commencement of the meeting. In the absence of a quorum, the meeting shall be adjourned for half an hour, thereafter irrespective of the number of members present, the meeting shall be proceeded with; however such a meeting shall have no power to amend, alter, add or in any way change the Constitution.
33. Committee Meeting:
A Committee Meeting shall be held at least once in every three (3) months. The quorum shall be 11 of the committee members present at the commencement of the meeting. Other than the President calling for the meeting through the Secretary, any 4 committee members may requisition for a Committee Meeting to be held subject to the requirement that all requisitionists must be personally present at the meeting to be held, otherwise such a meeting shall be cancelled forthwith. Notice of at least 24 hours must be given to committee members before a Committee Meeting can be held.
第七章 财 政（CHAPTER 7 FINANCE）
34. Annual Expenses:
The annual expenses shall be paid out of the Huay Kuan’s funds. If there are not sufficient funds available, or if there are special requirements for funds, the Committee may decide to ask for special subscriptions from members.
35. Cash with the Treasurer:
The petty cash of the Huay Kuan shall be held in the custody of the Treasurer and shall not exceed $500.00. If the cash is in excess of the amount of $500.00, the Treasurer must deposit such excess amount with the Huay Kuan’s Bankers.
The Secretary may sign and authorize payment not exceeding $2,000.00; any expenditure between a sum of $2,001.00 and $5,000.00 must be authorized by the President, between $5,001.00 and $30,000.00 must be authorized by the Committee and in excess of $30,000.00 must be approved by a General Meeting of Members.
All cheques of the Huay Kuan shall be signed by any two of the following persons:-
- the President;
- the Secretary; and
- the Treasurer;
第八章 信托人（CHAPTER 8 TRUSTEES）
- All real properties of the Huay Kuan shall be vested in the Trustees subject to a declaration of Trust in accordance with the Resolutions passed by the Committee.
- There shall not be more than 5 Trustees at any one time and shall not be less than 2 in number. The Trustees are to be elected at a General Meeting of Members.
- Trustees must be of good character and have a proper occupation. Any person who is mentally sick or who is an undischarged bankrupt or who is a convicted criminal or has been deprived of his civics rights, shall not become a Trustee.
- If a Trustee has passed away or leaves the Republic for more than a year or retires or refuses to accept office or appointment, or has been discharged for misconduct as a Trustee, a General Meeting shall elect a new Trustee in place of the said Trustee. The Resolution appointing the new Trustee shall be sent to the Registrar of Societies.
第九章 禁 例 （CHAPTER 9 PROHIBITIONS）
- Gambling of any kind, excluding the promotion or conduct of a private lottery which has been permitted under the Private Lotteries Act Cap 250, is forbidden on the Huay Kuan’s premises. The introduction of materials for gambling or drug taking and of bad characters into the premises is prohibited.
- The funds of the Huay Kuan shall not be used to pay the fines of any member who is convicted in a Court of Law.
- The Huay Kuan shall not hold any lottery either in the name of the Huay Kuan or the Committee or its office bearers or its members, whether such lottery is held only amongst members or not.
- The Huay Kuan shall not allow its funds, offices or premises to be used for political purposes.
- The Huay Kuan shall not attempt to restrict or in any other manner interfere with trade or prices or engage in any trade union activity as defined in any written law relating to trade unions for the time being in force in Singapore.
- The Huay Kuan shall not raise funds from the public for whatever purposes without the prior approval in writing of the Assistant Director Operations, Licensing Division, Singapore Police Force and other relevant authorities where necessary.
第十章 解 散（CHAPTER 10 DISSOLUTION）
- The Huay Kuan shall not be dissolved, except with the consent of not less than three-fifths (3/5th) of the members of the Huay Kuan for the time being resident in Singapore. Such consent to be given either in person by the members or by proxy at a General Meeting convened for the purpose.
- In the event of the Huay Kuan being dissolved in accordance with the aforesaid paragraph, all debts and liabilities legally incurred shall be fully discharged and any remaining funds shall be disposed at a General Meeting of members, amongst the various charities, educational organizations in Singapore organized or managed by the Teochew Community. No remaining funds shall be distributed to the members.
- Notice of dissolution shall be given to the Registrar of Societies within seven (7) days of dissolution.
第十一章 附 则（CHAPTER 10 MISCELLANEOUS）
- Commemoration: The Huay Kuan was established on the 4th day of September 1929. The Huay Kuan will thus commemorate the occasion of its founding every year on the 4th day of September.
- Respect to Deceased Committee Member: In the event of the death of any committee member, and on notice being received from the deceased’s family, the Huay Kuan shall notify the committee members to attend the funeral of and pay the last respect to the deceased committee member and also to make offerings in his honour.
- Amendments to Constitution: This Constitution shall be effective immediately after approval is given by a General Meeting of Members and by the Registrar of Societies. No alternations or additions to this Constitution shall be made except at a General Meeting of Members, and they shall not come into force without the prior approval of the Registrar of Societies.